College & Career Summer Seminar
This half-day, four-week seminar for rising juniors and seniors will help you build a portfolio of information to support your college applications, while you explore college and career options! The seminar will cover the following topics:
- Career and Leadership Exploration: Activities that will help you discover your talents and interests, and examine career pathways.
- College Planning: Familiarize yourself with relevant software, websites, and organizational strategies. Learn how to find colleges that will suit your needs and desires.
- Personal Essay: Get started on what some consider the most difficult part of the college application! Begin crafting a personal essay that draws attention to your unique qualities and helps you stand out from your competitors.
- Application Process: Learn the characteristics of the Common Application, the Coalition Application and other common formats used by colleges and universities.
- Campus Visits: Visit several college campuses throughout the Shenandoah Valley and Northern Virginia. Develop an understanding of what to expect in college life, see dormitories, classrooms, and athletic facilities, and get a feel for the differences between public and private institutions as well as the characteristics of small colleges and large universities.
Design, develop, create, fabricate, engineer, author, build...these are the action words of "visionary" education in the modern Innovation Studio. This course will introduce students to the idea of innovation and putting ideas into practice. Using the four "C's" of critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity, this course will ask students to think outside the box and stretch their imagination. Students will learn to use relevant software, coding platforms, robotics, 3-D printing and laser cutting technology to help them develop answers to their own questions and the world's problems. (Half-day course.)