The Randolph-Macon Academy chapter—the Byzantium Chapter—of the National English Honor Society was inaugurated in October 2007. Sponsored by the international collegiate English Honor Society of Sigma Tau Delta, the organization offers recognition, leadership, service, and college scholarship opportunities to high school English students.
Areas of chapter focus include literature, fine writing, language, media studies, and community service.
The missions of the NEHS are described in the constitution as:
- to confer distinction upon secondary school students for high achievement in English language and literature;
- to provide cultural stimulation in secondary school environments;
- to encourage interest in the English language arts;
- to promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- to serve society by fostering literacy.
Students in grades 10 through 12 who meet the following membership criteria are invited to apply:
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.7, including an average of at least 3.7 in Honors and/or AP English
- Completion of one semester of Honors or AP English prior to application
- Exemplary conduct and honor
- Commitment to NEHS community service missions
- Completion of the application process
There are fall and spring inductions for new members. For information contact Robert Davies, English Chairman and National English Honor Society Advisor at email@example.com.