Applying to R-MA
Applications are currently being reviewed for the Academic Year 2015-16 and our 2016 Summer Programs.
Review the steps below or print a checklist for your records.
2015-16 Academic Year
We are currently accepting applications for our Second Quarter registration on November 2, 2015 and our Second Semester registration on January 25, 2016. Space is currently available in grades 6-11.
2016-17 Academic Year
We are now accepting applications for the 2016-17 school year. Our priority deadline is February 1, 2016 for US citizens and international students. Applications received after that date will be considered through rolling admission.
An application is reviewed when all of the following information is received:
- Application: Signed by both parent & student, with photo and application fee. ($75 for U.S. citizens and $200 for international students; non-refundable.) We prefer you apply directly online, but you may also download an application. R-MA also accepts the SSAT Standard Application.
- Personal Essays: Grades 9-PG must write two one-page essays. Grades 6-8 must write two half-page essays. Details are within the online application.
- Proof of Identity: Copy of birth certificate or passport.
- School Records: To include transcripts, standardized test scores, discipline record, and other applicable school information.
- Admission Test: We will accept the Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT). Registration information and testing sites near you can be found at www.ssat.org. Our school code is 6000. Other standardized testing can be substituted.
- Recommendations: Two letters of recommendation are required.
- Interview: Interview and tour times are available Monday through Friday, 8am - 3pm, by appointment. Saturday interviews are available on a limited basis, and must be scheduled at least 72 hours in advance. If you live too far away to visit campus, a phone or Skype interview will be arranged. R-MA's Skype account is R-MA.Admissions.
Once all application requirements have been met, the Admission Committee will review the material to determine the applicant's qualifications for acceptance and the family will be promptly notified of the decision.
Disqualifying Factors: Review the complete Academy Admission Policy before inquiring.
Students with past criminal involvement need not apply. Candidates who are currently dismissed from another school, have juvenile charges pending, or are currently on court probation will not be considered for admission.
R-MA is a college preparatory school. Candidates who do not plan to attend a school of higher education or who cannot function within an environment of high standards and an Honor Code are discouraged from applying.
Students under a physician's care for a severe medical condition(s) may not be eligible for admission. Such admissions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the appropriate physicians and the R-MA medical staff. The primary consideration is the health and safety of the child. The Academy is not obligated to accept any student that could potentially present a liability for the school.
Upon Acceptance: The signed enrollment form and the matriculation deposit is required within three weeks of acceptance for those US citizens applying for the 2016-17 academic year. International students can find details on the International How to Apply page. Receipt of the deposit will reserve the applicant's space as a member of the R-MA student body.
Randolph-Macon Academy offers equal opportunity for admissions, regardless of race, sex, color, religion, national or ethnic origin.